It Might Get Loud Trailer – This could be very, very cool…

I was sent a link to this trailer today (hi Mark!), and I must say that “It Might Get Loud“, a documentary by Davis Guggenheim – yes, the “Inconvenient Truth” Davis Guggenheim – looks like it could be very, very cool. The premise?

A documentary on the electric guitar, from the point of view of three rock legends.Filmed through the eyes of three virtuosos from three different generations, audiences get up close and personal, discovering how a furniture upholsterer from Detroit, a studio musician and painter from London and a seventeen year old Dublin schoolboy, each used the electric guitar to develop their unique sound and rise to the pantheon of superstar. Rare discussions are provoked as we travel with Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White to influential locations of their pasts.

Yep, you read that right. The three guitarists representing the three generations? Jimmy freakin’ Page, Jack White and The Edge. Take a look at the trailer below…

Ignoring for one second just how damn cool that trailer looks, this documentary is primed to generate no amount of controversy with its choice of guitarists. I mean, I’m sure no one could argue with the choice of Page… but The Edge, deservedly or not, is sure to be a point of discussion. So why not start one here? Sound off in the comments, who would you choose for your three guitarists?

Archives

Tags

Burgo Written by:

6 Comments

1. August 13, 2009

If we're to believe that the guitarists are of Jack White's choosing, then The Edge deserves a spot. His pedal board alone shows his influence on White. However, if this is not the case, then yeah…the guy plays like 8 notes. WTF?

2. RachiAM
    August 13, 2009

Ahh!
    [sigh]

I can't wait.

3. August 17, 2009

@Syzlak,
    Yeah, I'm still not sure whether that whole “Jack White chose the guitarists” thing is true, or simply Jack being so totally arrogant that he's giving that impression himself. Guess we'll have to watch to find out!

(side note: Don't get me wrong here, I really, really like Jack's stuff… but damned if he doesn't come off as a smug SOB sometimes ;))

4. August 17, 2009

@Syzlak,

5. August 18, 2009

@Syzlak,

6. Pamm
    August 28, 2009

I don’t think that The Edge’s purely guitar playing ability is what has earned him a spot in this documentary as much as his skill for manipulating the electric guitar to sound unique (i.e. the foot peddles). Anyway, there are definitely better guitar players that I can think of (unfortunately many of them are dead!), but he is without a doubt a major influence on music!